Wednesday, May 23, 2012

All Topsy Turvey

I had a minor set back this morning. Before I could water my miniature plastic greenhouse and set it back in the window my son got his hands on it. He quickly did a lap around my living room with my husband and I chasing him and then dropped it on the carpet. Soil and tiny Terra Cotta pots went rolling everywhere and all I could do was fall to my knees and try not to cry.

One of the hazards of living in a small space is that I have no space. My desk is within my sons reach so I either balance everything precariously on a high shelf or push it so far back on the desk it takes him an extra second to get it. Neither method works very well and it often irritates me to no end that I have no place of my own that is safe to plop my treasures. I constantly battle negative feelings as I watch my beloved creations get ruined and it seems like I'm the only one that sees anything wrong with it. My son is still to young to understand which is probably half the reason I can move on. Once I have all my seeds started and arranged in my grow room it should be easier since he won't be able to get to it.

After I got over seeing my little sprouts laying helplessly on the floor I started scooping the soil back into pots and gently patting things back into place. The damage to my plants that have sprouted seems minimal but I am waiting a few days before I will think everything is back in order. I have one Parsley that I noticed had sprouted but as it's the only one I am now worried that some of the unsprouted seeds may have gotten picked up with the soil that fell out and placed in the pots with my Basil and Chives. As a perfectionist I find it incredibly frustrating to think about my plants getting mixed up in pots together. I don't think it would affect the plants in any way but it would make me pissy every time I looked at it. I guess if that does happen I'll just have to start over or learn to deal with it.

Lesson of the day: keep toddlers away from freshly sprouted seeds.
Goal of the day: clear a space for my things so I can feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment